You must have heard different recipes for Egusi soup- the lumpy, the boiled, fried, or even the smooth egusi soup but what you don’t get to hear every time is how to prepare egusi soup with tomatoes. What if I tell you that you have been missing out all this while you excluded tomatoes from your Egusi soup?
It’s not too late to make your next egusi soup with tomatoes. Just do well to read all steps carefully.
- Egusi (melon)
- Meat (pork/beef/chevon/turkey/chicken)
- Pieces of dry fish
- Seasoning cubes
- Grinded Crayfish
- Onion(diced and blended)
- Tomatoes (blended)
- Palm oil
- Chopped pumpkin leaves also known as ugwu(or preferred leaves)
- Salt to taste
Steps on how to make Egusi soup with Tomatoes
• Wash meat and stockfish then place in a pot.
• Season with salt, seasoning cube, bell pepper, and some sliced onions.
• Boil meat and stockfish until tender.
• Soak or rinse the dry fish in hot water, drain, and rinse well in cold water.
• De-bone fish properly and add to the pot of boiling meat.
• Set boiled meat aside
• In another pot, heat palm oil till hot then add blended tomatoes, pepper, and onion. Then Stir-fry for 10-15 minutes.
• Pour in blended egusi and leave to cook for 5 minutes.
• Pour in your meat stock, add seasonings and allow to cook for 10 minutes
• Taste and add more seasoning if necessary But be careful with the salt. (Egusi is known to get easily salted)
• Add vegetables (bitter leaves/pumpkin leaves(ugu), water leaves, etc.)
• Allow food to simmer for another 5minutes.(avoid over-cooking the leaves).
• Turn off heat
Your tomatoes egusi soup is ready! Serve with any swallow of your choice or with rice.